Thursday, July 15, 2010

REMEMBERING THE GOODNESS OF THE LORD: CRC Primary School 1st Annual Thanksgiving

On Sunday, June 27th, 2010, the CRC Primary school in Kabala held their first annual Thanksgiving. It was amazing to see the children all dressed up in their brand new ceremonial uniforms, and the excitement and enthusiasm was infectious as they began their march through the town, singing praises to God. As I marched with them and looked up at the beautiful mountains surrounding Kabala, I contemplated the true goodness and wonder of our God – not just that He enabled the dream of this school to become a reality, but that He went ahead of that dream and prepared a lasting partnership, a bond that runs deeper than family blood, between this small town in Sierra Leone and the people of British Columbia, Canada. I am constantly amazed at the fact that the people in Kabala accept me, and any visitor from BC, as a part of their family, their community, their school, and their lives – it seems impossible that people with such different backgrounds, cultures, and languages could become so close-knit and connected after such a short time, but that is the wonder of our God!

As the Thanksgiving program began, speeches were made by the Town Chief, the Principal, the Pastors of the CRC church, the Deputy Minister of Education, and a visitor from Grand Rapids who helped to start the dream of this Primary School, Dr. Jo. Kuyvenhoven. It brought tears to my eyes to see the impact that this school has had on the students, the teachers, the families, and the community and country at large. It was incredible to listen to Dr. Jo explaining that the students at CRC have come 1st in their reading and writing proficiency – and not just 1st in Kabala, but 1st in ALL of Sierra Leone. After just three years in operation, this school has already begun to change the lives of people in this community in ways we never would have thought possible. It was so encouraging and inspiring to see a student in Class 5 at CRC stand up and read a very difficult verse from the Bible in perfect English – a true example of the value of good, quality education. There were many skits, songs, and other activities performed by the children of CRC, and it was easy to see the joy and the pride they felt to be able to represent their school.

The theme for the Thanksgiving was “This Far the Lord has Helped Us” and indeed, that is an incredibly appropriate theme for this school! Who could have imagined that a dream that began for a Primary school in a small town in rural West Africa could become a reality, and who could have imagined that the reality of it would change and transform so many lives? It is truly incredible to think that the building of one school could make such a difference for so many, both for the people here and the people back in BC who have chosen to open their hearts and partner with this community in Sierra Leone. I cannot speak for the other Canadians, but I can speak for myself when I say that coming to Sierra Leone and having the amazing opportunity to work with the CRC church and the CRC Primary School has drastically changed my life for the better. I have never experienced such genuine thankfulness, love, appreciation, and a sense of community and belonging – and I am sure those of you from Canada and America who have been to Kabala feel the same way. I am so grateful that I was able to be a part of this 1st Annual Thanksgiving, as a chance to look back on how the school started, how far it has come, and where we want it to go in the future!
Rev. John Phiri announced at the Thanksgiving that we now have enough money to build a Junior Secondary School (Form 1 or Grade 7) for next year, and I wish I could properly explain the sounds of joy and excitement that erupted in the building after this announcement! The whole audience stood to their feet and applauded, shouting, praising God, and clapping – some with tears in their eyes. I wish I could convey the effect that this school has had on this Koinadugu district, but it is all I can do is simply encourage those of you in Canada and in the States to never tire to support this ministry with your prayers and your hearts – God is doing something amazing in Kabala through this school, and through the CRC church, and I firmly believe He will keep working! This community and this country are both changing for the better because of this school, and the CRC church ministries, and I know they will continue to grow and expand in the future.
During the Thanksgiving, as Dr. Jo was explaining how the war in Sierra Leone affected the education here, and the dream that arose to start CRC, I found tears welling in my eyes as I thought of the incredible impact this school has made in Kabala. One of my aunties here in Kabala approached me and said, “Krissi, why are you crying...look what the Lord has done!” I gave her a hug and smiled, with tears of joy in my eyes, “That’s why Auntie, Look what the Lord has done!” There is a song that we sing in Kabala that says, “What can I say unto the Lord, all I have to say is THANK-YOU LORD!” And indeed, what else can we say? This dream of a school has grown beyond our wildest expectations, our wildest dreams, and is blessing people beyond what is humanly possible. So I want to offer a heartfelt thank-you, from myself and everyone in Kabala, to all of those who worked hard to make this dream a reality – Pa Dennis, Asher, Dr. Jo, and the countless others who never tire to spread the news of this school and encourage people to get involved – but an even greater thank-you to our Lord and Father in Heaven, who was working to make this dream a reality before we even had the dream. “Tell God Tenke”, as we would say in Krio, for all that He has done and continues to do!

Written by Krissi Bucholtz, Canadian volunteer with the CRC church & CRC school

No comments: